COVID has really put a damper on activities that we would normally do. It’s important to stay active and healthy, even if that means doing things inside or by ourselves! In this short video, I will give you some activities that an help to keep you active and safe during the COVID & Winter Season.
- Tip 1: Get Busy Moving!
- Its important to keep our bodies active and moving during this time in which we can become more sedentary staying inside and away from others. This winter try some new activities like taking a virtual exercise class. Elite’s own Occupational Therapist, Maddie, holds virtual exercise classes which you can tune in live to on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays through the Brandywine Valley Active Aging.
- Tip 2: Try your hand at a new hobby!
- Keeping busy and active is important, and what better time to pick up a new hobby than during the cold winter months? Try getting involved in a crafting project like knitting, sewing, or scrapbooking. If arts and crafts aren’t your thing, try a hobby such as indoor gardening. Its a quick way to get involved in something that will keep you active each day, and will produce either beautiful flowers or a yummy garden treat.
- Tip 3: Get Organized
- We typically think of getting organized during the spring season when we do our “spring cleaning”. However, with the colder months approaching, now would be an ideal time to get rid of those old and unwanted items, to make room for the new and exciting. Try starting with just one room or closet at a time – out with the old and in with the new (year)!
- Tip 4: A Brisk Walk
- Even though its cold outside, that doesn’t mean you need to stay indoors 24/7. Getting fresh air has been shown to improve mood, increase blood circulation, and help in cardiovascular health. A long walk isn’t necessary, so bundle up, and try just walking up and down the driveway…as long as there isn’t snow and ice that is!
- Tip 5: Cook a new Meal
- During this time where things can get boring and are often the same thing over and over again, why not try switching it up and trying a new menu item! New cookie and soup recipes are a good way to stay warm and cozy both inside your home, and inside your body. Don’t forget to stay hydrated as well! Drink plenty of fluids.
We know that this time is difficult, and navigating ways to stay active can be challenging. With COVID affecting everyone, its important to find the positives in lives. Try some of these tips to keep you active and safe during the cold winter and COVID months.